Academics: Social Studies
Social Studies Curriculum
The philosophy of Orinda Academy’s social studies department is to provide a broadly humanistic approach to the ideas, events, peoples, and extraordinary individuals that have shaped the world in which we live.
Social Studies Course Sequence
- U. S. History (8th grade)
- World Geography (9th grade)
- Modern World History or Western Civilization (10th grade)
- U.S. History (11th grade)
- Civics and Economics (12th grade)
Students are exposed to a wide variety of traditionally based, yet progressively tempered methods of instruction. We strive to promote each individual's critical thinking skills and to instill a passion and appreciation for the rich variety of past and present experience and the multiplicity of ways in which they connect to and illuminate one another.